- 1 box of devil's food/dark chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. Hazelnut Nutella (for batter)
- 1 cup Nutella for spreading
- 1/4 cup rasberry jam/preserves for spreading
- 1 can of your favorite cream cheese frosting (You can make your own. I don't have a recipe I like so I just bought whipped cream cheese frosting. I will post the chocolate Nutella frosting recipe below also in case you want to try that instead)
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
Mix together chocolate cake mix, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and Nutella. Scoop into paper liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched or toothpick comes out clean when inserted to middle of cupcake.
**Cool cupcakes completely before moving on to the next step**
Spread a thin layer of Nutella on cooled cupcake followed by a thin layer of raspberry jam. Pipe the cream cheese frosting on top (as much/little as you want) and top with a delicious fresh raspberry. Easy, yummy, warmth and love. And they look super pretty too!
Here's the recipe for the frosting I mentioned above. It's rich and creamy...unfortunately I didn't have time to make it this time and my mixer is broken, but I will make it next time!
Hazelnut Butter Cream Frosting:
- 8 tablespooons (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons milk or cream(cream is better!)
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Stop the mixer before adding the sugar or you will have a large mess to clean up. Add the sugar, 3 tablespoons cream, cocoa, Nutella, and vanilla extract. Beat frosting starting on slow increasing your speed until frosting is nice and creamy. Add 2-3 more tablespoons cream if it's too thick.
And there you have it. Turns out pretty good! We enjoyed the cupcakes even with the store bought frosting and then headed out for more celebrating at the movies...a very disturbing 2 hours (Breaking Dawn) but it was a lot of fun with the girls nonetheless! Hope you enjoyed your birthday, Arianne! We love you!